Monday, June 17, 2013

Father's Day Card - Shaving Cream Painting Tutorial **Flamingo Scraps**

I hate to buy cards, and one way to try out a new technique without feeling like I wasted my time on a small ATC or tag that I will never do anything with is to try the technique on a card, my family gets a lot of guinea pig cards due to this - thanks guys!!

Here is my father's day card I made for my husband this year.  I used a new technique to me, painting with shaving cream.  This is nothing new, kids crafts have done it for years, and it creates a really cool effect - so please do not feel like I created his new idea, but I did not follow another persons tutorial or post, it came out of my head for how I did it.



I used plain kraft cardstock for the base of the card, and then cream cardstock for the base of the shaving cream painting (I matted the painted paper in the same cream cardstock).  I then added a small sentiment I printed and hand wrote and a cute little paperclip bird from Maya Road - go check out Flamingo Scraps to get yourself one!!

Shaving Cream Painting Tutorial

1) Supplies - Cardstock, shaving cream, glimmer mist (I used Heidi Swapp Color Shine in green, yellow, red, and orange), foam brush, small container to hold shaving cream (small bowl works great).


2) Fill up you bowl with about 1 cup of shaving cream, this is plenty for a 12x12 cardstock, i only did an 8x8 size paper.  Open up the top of your mist and pour some onto the shaving cream in different places.  Use your brush to mix it  - only one or two stirs, do not over mix or you just create a new color.


3) Cover paper with shaving cream all the way to the edges.  I placed my craft mat under my paper so no big deal if it leaked over, easy clean up with water.  Don't' over mix you shaving cream when applying it, or you will not get the swirly effect.


4) I let it sit for about 1 min and pulled all the shaving cream off the paper at this point and it looked like this.  It was not as blended as I wanted it to be, it was too white.  This could easily be a stopping point for you if you wanted.  I would still let it dry for an hour or so before you did anything else to it.


5) I reapplied the same shaving cream (it still had color in it) and covered the entire paper again.  This time I made sure there were lots of peaks and valleys so I used the foam brush and pulled up the shaving cream to create the peaks.

Here you can see the peaks I created.  This is just to give the paper more texture when it dried.  At this point I then sprayed with the sprayer mist bottle a little of each of the colors I poured into the shaving cream from the start to create another layer of color.  I then let it dry.

 6) This is what it looked like after 3 hours of drying time.  As you can see some of the shaving cream is starting to evaporate and dry out, but not all of it.  The more shaving cream you apply the longer it takes to dry.  This is a patient craft!!

7) After 4 hours I scraped off the remaining shaving cream and got this result.  You could have left it dry over night and had nothing to scrape off, it would have just given you paper more texture.



I then cut this paper up and created 3 strips for my card, but this could easily be used as a background or a create your own patterned paper.

Here is the finished card again.
Before I applied the bird and the sentiment I flicked some mist on over the entire card - same colors I used before.

Supplies Used
Mist - Heidi Swapp
Shaving Cream
Cardstock - Recollections
Metal - Maya Road
Pen - Recollections

Enjoy!!



1 comment:

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, they mean so much to me!!

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...