Below are the projects I have selected for my application for the design team.
Pretty Happy Girl
Back in January I was playing around with my daughter taking pictures at the park near our house. She looked so cute in her little goodie sweater, so sweet and happy. I played with the color a bit on the pictures and a mostly black and white looked perfect!!
I used a monochromatic feel of teal and green and with black and white.
- Distress the background layers and ink.
- Add in layers of texture with molding paste and stencils then add in mists in splatters, drips, sprays, and blobs. I did the textures in two phases so I could layer on top of each other, some with the washi tape from the kit under the paste and some over it after it dried.
- I then added in strips of the papers, flowers, circle cutouts from papers, stickers, and sequins - all papers are distressed and inked. I rolled some of the paper back around the edges to add in stickers and more washi tape behind the rolls.
- Add in your pictures with the edges scraped away for more texture.
Here you can see up close how I layered up the papers and embellishments. I even distressed the edge of the pictures and added in some ink to the distress portion of the picture.
I love to use flowers and girly things on my cards and projects, but sometimes I want something more masculine, especially if it's for my husband. I find that a great substitute for flowers are gears, and there are so many varieties out there in chipboard, acrylic, stamps, stickers, and punches. So here is a card I made for his birthday this year.
I am loving paint splatter right now, I seem to be using them in just about every project, but they really add to the dimension and depth to your paper for very little effort and cost. I then on top of the splatters used some stamps around the edges and borders of the card for more dimension and texture. I kept to earth tone colors for a rustic look, I felt that it just added to the masculine feel.
I was not happy with any of the alpha letters I had on hand, they were not the correct size, wrong color, wrong font, etc. So I took something that I like the size and font and altered the color. These were foam "Thickers" in grey. I pressed my distress ink by Ranger in a dark brown on top to give it a darker look and distress the letters a bit.
Play with your stamps and inks. You can get such wonderful results by layering and just letting your project go where it needs to go.
Altered Art - Canvas
I just had professional pictures taken of my kids in February. At these ages (Morgan 8, Brandon 4, and Catherine 18 months) you never know what you are going to get. I told the photographer to just take anything and everything. I am not a huge fan of "look at me and smile" pictures, I much rather just capture the feeling of the moment. This picture was taken at the end of the session, they were all grumpy and tired and to pep them up I gave them all a sucker and asked them to sit on the stairs. This beauty unfolded. For those that do not know my children, it image captures the essence of who they all are at this moment in their lives.
I used a 8x10 inch canvas as the base of my project. I have never done a canvas before, but I approached it as though it was a layout just in a different size.
- I started out by painting the canvas with acrylic paints in tones, of green, blue, yellow, brown, and beige. Painting a layer letting it dry then painting another layer, not full coats but enough to see the colors.
- I then added texture by using stencils and molding paste and using spray mists and more paint. Lots of drying time for the base. Mostly concentrating on the edges as those re the only parts showing.
- I then added in lots of strips of papers that are distressed and inked and some punched with an edge punch.
- Next came the flowers between the layers and more blotches of paint and sprays of mists as I added in more layers.
- Then added was the chipboard painted in brown, trim, the picture, and some stickers.
Thanks for view my application!! I hope you enjoyed my work.