Saturday, October 24, 2015

Teal Pumpkin Project **CCB & Deflecto & Xyron**

A friend of mine has a daughter with severe allergies, down to 28 foods!  Until you are around or have allergies yourself you don not realize how food centered all our holidays are, one in particular is Halloween.  Imagine being a little kid and not being able to have any of the fun items you went trick or treating for because eating them could kill you?!?!  Easy alternative is to offer kids with allergies a toy instead!!  But how to they know you offer non candy items?  Place a teal pumpkin or a sign saying you offer non candy treats and done!!


I wanted to give something to my friend to show my support for her daughter, so I made her a glammed up teal pumpkin she can have outside her house.  I mixed the TA Cerulean and Jade paint to come up with the teal color of the pumpkin.  I then used the TA Ebony for the stem.  I could not just paint a pumpkin and leave it, so I added some black shading in the grooves and then spiced up the top with some black and tan raffia and some gold glittered balls.

http://shop.canvascorpbrands.com/

I used the dollar store pumpkin as the base which is made from Styrofoam and super light.  The paint took to it like a charm!!I gave the pumpkin 2 coats of TA DIY paint letting it dry between each coat, then painted the stem black.




I was at a scrap retreat this past weekend and the AMAZING Jennifer Snyder was there and she had some fun pumpkin cards she was letting us make.  We were playing with oil pastel crayons and hers was the orange colors, but I thought why not make the card teal to go with my teal pumpkin, then add in the same embellishments to make them go together!!  THANKS Jen for the amazing card make n'take!!



I then thought not only use the teal pumpkin at your house to give away non candy/food items but carry one around with you if you have the food allergy!!  So I took a plastic McDonald's Halloween bucket and painted it the same blend of TA paints, use a jack-o-lantern Cricut cutout on CCB Black Cardstock, add some back trim to the top, and then use Mod Podge in a mat finish to seal it all in.


I painted both the inside and out, and the paint did an amazing job of covering up the Scooby-Doo and the gang!  You can also use the as your house pumpkin and actually put the non food items you are giving away

 

Another alternative to painting a pumpkin for your house is to put up a sign.  There are many signs you can find, there are a couple examples below.  I used a printable I found from www.foodallergy.org and used CCB papers starting with printing it on kraft cardstock, matting it on white cardstock, adding a black horizontal border, and then misting white cardstock with TA Mist in Dragonfly for the background.  I then slid the sign into the Deflecto 9 x12 Plastic Wall Art Display Frame to keep it from getting damaged.  
http://shop.canvascorpbrands.com/
My sign will sit outside by the front door on Halloween for those kids who need an alternative to candy for Halloween!!


 Here are some other signs that you can print and put up for our food allergy kids!!

http://www.foodallergy.org/teal-pumpkin-project#.ViakDiu1Nyo

http://www.foodallergy.org/teal-pumpkin-project#.ViakDiu1Nyo

Supplies Used

Teal Pumpkin
Pumpkin - Dollar Store
Ink - Prima 
Raffia - Floral Department
Gold Balls - Floral Department
Adhesive - Beacon

Card
Stamp - Tim Holtz
Oil Pastels - Prima
Paper - Prima
Ink - Prima
Jute - Prima
Raffia - Floral Department
Gold Balls - Floral Department

Teal Bucket
Bucket - McDonalds
Pumpkin Cut - Cricut
Sealant - Mod Podge

Sign
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, they mean so much to me!!

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...